Saturday, December 28, 2013

I Was Born In The 80's, Yo

Yesterday I went to the store because I needed to buy cassette tapes for work.  Yes, old fashioned cassette tapes.  To record the weekly meetings.  Because I am about as tech-savvy as the fucking Aflac duck, and because I know how to work cassette tape recorders.  I don't know how to work digital recorders.  And even if I could figure out how to work that shit, I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to make a copy of the data.  Sometimes people at work look at me like I've apparently walked out of an episode of Little House On The Prairie, and I'm all, "I WAS BORN IN THE 80's, YO.   CASSETTE TAPES WERE THE HEIGHT OF FUCKING RELIABILITY.  please don't judge me."
And then they look at me with pity in their eyes, and try to explain to me how easy digital recording is ... dude, it's totally simple, you just record the session on this drive, and then transfer it, download it, move it, copy it, shake it, bake it, roll it, drink it .... blah, blah, blah ...
I could go on, but I would just be typing nonsense because after awhile it just all starts to sound like random words to me and while they're explaining the simple complexity and apparent genius of the newest technology, my eyes glaze over, and in my head I try to think of words that rhyme with "orange".
Anyway, there ARE some amusing benefits to going old-school with the technology.  For example, cassette tapes are really fucking hard to find, probably because of the rest of the people out there like me who know dependability when they see it, so when I do find them I buy as many as there are on the shelf.  And then I get to the cashier, and they're usually looking at me like why the fuck does this bitch need 15 cassette tapes?, and as I casually grab my receipt for the cash transaction, I whisper, "they can't track a cassette tape", nod at the ceiling, and walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment