Saturday, November 23, 2013

Gandalf's A Fucking Sales Wizard

I love the bookstore for so many reasons.  They have awesome books.  They sell coffee.  Like Tom Hanks said, "cheap books and legal addictive stimulants".  It's always a win-win for me.

And, at the bookstore people leave you the hell alone. 
Once, I went to a big beauty department store (one that I had not been to since it opened a few years ago, and I really just went to look around and see what kind of awesome shit I could find there). And there was a sales lady there who followed me around the whole store asking me if I needed anything.  And at first I was like, no thanks I'm just looking around.  And then she asked again, and I was all, really, I'm good, but thanks.  And then she asked me again, with specific emphasis on the fact that she could "color match" me, and it took me a minute to figure out that she was talking about matching actual make-up to me, and not referring to some sort of weird beauty cult thing that I figured would cost a thousand bucks to make it to some sort of underground level where you'd be showered with nail polish and color swatches.  And just as I was about to explain this to the sales lady, I noticed that her face was like 5 shades lighter than her neck, and I was like, uh no thanks, and quickly walked away.  Because at that moment, a beauty cult didn't seem so unlikely after all.
But the employees at the bookstore know that they don't have to follow you around the whole store sending you subliminal messages to join their order.  Because they're cool enough to know that if you're having trouble finding something, you'll be smart enough to ask.  And then they'll be like, ok sure, let me look that up for you.  And then they'll find whatever you're looking for, and you'll say cool thanks, and then that's shit's over.

And the bookstore is quiet.

And then there's THIS.

Because where else, other than the fucking awesomeness that is a bookstore, could you find books about Middle-earth and America's Founding Fathers sitting on a table, side-by-side.  On sale.  Admittedly, I'm not very well-versed in either, but for a buck less, Middle-earth seems like the better deal to me.  Because Gandalf knows how to make a fucking sale.


No comments:

Post a Comment